



It is really late and I should be in bed, but what the heck? I'm on break and I haven't blogged in a while. Anyway, I just filled out the survey on the new potential W&M mascot options, so I thought I would share my two cents with everyone. Here are my comments...The Griffin:
What’s the connection to William & Ma…Oh I get it, the rollercoaster at Busch Gardens that is the same name, but spelled differently. Wait that's not it...I give up. This has some originality and could be good, but the wings AND a tail would a burden on any mascot. And besides, the mascot will be at football and basketball games NOT quidditch matches.
The Phoenix:
This design looks very good - it is bold and is a very good option. It does resemble the Univ. of Louisville Cardinals logo a little bit, but I am okay with that. I would be fine calling a school with this logo my alma mater, in public (which is more than I can say about three of the options).
The King and Queen:
I appreciate the King and Queen connection to the school, but this mascot idea wouldn't work. I can't view the drawing above without thinking about the Tribe being represented by a real, live Lord Farqaad from the movie Shrek. Can you picture him doing a handstand, with that giant head? Didn't think so...
The Pug:
Here's the deal: I love dogs, I really do, but a pug mascot? No thanks. The pug drawing does conjure up thoughts and images of some the great figures of Dog-dom, such as McGruff, the renowned Crime Dog. This might be the only thing this mascot idea has going for it. Also, last time I checked a group of dogs is called a pack, not a Tribe...
The Wren:
The Wren connection is a very good one. While the design isn't as bold and imposing as the
My Winner: The Wren, with the Phoenix in a close second.
Anyone else have thoughts?
2 comments:
My thoughts: (and I'm glad you're blogging again!!)
Pug - LAME, too much like the Duke dog.
Griffin - I agree, W&M gets enough criticism for being weird already; we don't need a mythical creature as a mascot to add to that.
Phoenix - If we pick this one, can we have our feathers back?
Wren - no one would understand this connection besides W&M students and alumni, but again, could we get our feathers back?
King and Queen - Those costumes are ridiculous! My brother thinks we should just give the homecoming K&Q sceptors and make them the "mascot" for the year (kind of like how Trevor used to dress up at games), and get rid of those weird looking heads!
Welcome back to the blogosphere :)
Phoenix all the way!! Its historical relevance to the college is striking, we could get feathers back (they're mythical, so they can't sue us for being offensive!), and who doesn't love Fawkes from Harry Potter! :)
Post a Comment